Here is a place for me to post my musings on things I have read, research I have done and photos I have taken. Hopefully by keeping this log I will improve and have a permanent record of my findings. It may even help others along the way, who knows?......................................................................................................................

Friday 25 March 2011

The Genius of Photography - Episode 6

Being off work with my daughter (I now know that she has Scarlett Fever, which is why she has felt so rough), I have had the chance to watch the whole series today :-)

This episode was entitled "Snap Judgments". This episode asks what a photograph is worth these days. One answer is 0.9m, the record-breaking price achieved by an Edward Steichen print auctioned at Sotheby's in February 2006. The other answer is around 1/29th billionth of that figure based on the calculation that some 29 billion photographs will be taken in 2006 by phone cameras alone. Photography has never been so valuable and so ubiquitous. From America to China and on to Africa, the programme examines how the business of being a photographer has been changed by the market's sudden interest in what was once the poor relation of the art world.

I have really enjoyed watching this, it has given me quite a few areas that I want to look further into and quite a lot of "food for thought".

No comments:

Post a Comment